Welcome to my blog. Over the years that I have been stamping and paper crafting, I have so often been inspired by the ideas on other sites and blogs. I hope I can pay that back in some measure with my own. (In between laughs -- or cackles as my son calls it!)

December 20, 2014

Treat boxes

I couldn't resist making these fun treat boxes as little favors for the Christmas table.  They are made with the Stampin' Up! Curvy Keepsakes box die, then decorated, mostly with punches.

I made penguins, Santas, and snowmen.  I think my favorite are the penguins, especially his feet.  They are filled with M&Ms.

Of course, instead of making these, I should have been cleaning.  Whoops.

December 16, 2014

Rainbow Poinsettia

Today I did a watercolor wash in various colors.  Then, I very lightly pencil-sketched a poinsettia shape.  Lastly, I went around with deeper watercolor colors to outline it and add value.  Hope you like it!

December 14, 2014

Papercast ornaments on my Christmas tree

This year, I decorated my tree mostly in red, white and gold -- the better to show off my paper cast ornaments.

In the course of my stamping all the greeting cards that I make, I end up with lots of scraps of high quality white card stock.  I save those, and after about two years I have enough scraps to "pulverize" (in a blender, with lots of water), back to paper pulp.  The pulp is then used in molds to create lovely molded paper ornaments.  I get my molds from House on the Hill (Elmhurst, IL -- they sell reproduction woodcut molds, primarily for speciality cookie baking and marzipan), and Arnold Grummer (his are clay, made expressly for paper pulp).

Here's a few closeups of the ornaments.    I love the pure white and incredible texture.  If I have a chance I'll try to get clearer shots.

We also made the paper casts up at the People's Resource Center art class last Thursday.

December 13, 2014

My Art Final for Drawing 1 Class

Our art final for my Drawing 1 class at COD was to do a series of at least 5 drawings, related to a common theme, and then convert it to a GIF file.

I chose the theme of Nature.  I used Faber Castell Pitt markers on Fabriano cold press 90# drawing paper.  All of the plants that I chose to draw are special in some way, either as a remembrance for a special person or they are special to me.  For example, the daffodils are in remembrance of my brother Rob, whose birthday was in March.  And the forsythia branches are for Mom, she loved her forsythia in front of the living room bay windows in Clarion.  Here is the GIF:

Out of this series of 8, my favorites were the sunflower and the pine bough.  All that zentangling earlier this year sure paid off for these drawings.  I don't know what grade I got yet; they'll be critiqued next Wednesday.  I was quite happy with them!


November 7, 2014

Watercolored Bookmarks

To make these bookmarks, I first covered a large sheet of watercolor paper in a rainbow wash.  Rock salt was thrown on to the paper while it was still wet, for interesting texture.  Then I cut bookmark-size strips, approximately 7 x 2.5 inches, give or take depending on the stamp I chose.

I used a variety of stamps -- in black embossing powder and one in white embossing powder.  The butterflies were stamped on coordinating patterned papers and fussy cut and adhered.  All the other bookmarks use only one stamp.  This made these a very quick and easy project.

All were matted on either black or white card stock and coordinating ribbons added.

November 5, 2014

Yarn cap ornaments

Look at the video of these fun yarn cap ornaments that I found on You Tube!

So easy and a great way to use up those pesky yarn scraps.  Of course they are designed to be ornaments, but I can also see them as package decorations, or place cards at the Christmas table (you could hang a tag with the guest's name from the pompom).  Wouldn't they be fun made in everyone's high school or college colors?

November 1, 2014

Bon Voyage for Leona!

My BFF Leona is heading off to Asia for five weeks -- first to Taiwan, where she grew up, then to Myanmar (formerly Burma) along with some friends who have relatives living there.  Here's the Bon Voyage card that I made for a group of friends to sign.

I did a collage style with two retired Stampin Up! sets (Travel Post and Travels Abroad) and a Tim Holtz set.  I used various chalk and distress inks.  The "twine" is actually frayed strands from some old burlap that I couldn't bear to throw away a while back.  I threw on three leaves that I had left over from an encaustic wax session last month...because, well, I love leaves, they coordinated with the color scheme, and it is still autumn, although you wouldn't know it from the chilly weather we had on Halloween yesterday..

Inside is a Bon Voyage greeting.